1. Y. Zhao, and A. Alù, Methods for sample characterization, Application No.: 62/066,570.
Book Chapters & Books:
2. Y. Zhao, A. Askarpour, and A. Alù, Chiral effects in plasmonic metasurfaces and twisted metamaterials, in Singular and Chiral Nanoplasmonics, edited by N. I. Zheludev and Svetlana Boriskina, Pan Stanford Publishing, Ch. 3, 2015. ISBN: 978-981-4613-17-0
1. A. Askarpour, Y. Zhao, and A. Alù, Broadband circular polarizers and their theoretical treatment using generalized floquet analysis, in Broadband Metamaterials in Electromagnetics: Technology and Applications, edited by Douglas H. Werner, Pan Stanford Publishing, Ch. 7, 2017. ISBN: 978-981-4745-68-0
Peer-review Journal Articles:
29. J. Pan, T. Kmieciak, Y.-T. Liu, M. Wildenradt, Y.-S. Chen, and Y. Zhao*, Quantifying molecular- to cellular-level forces in living cells, Journal of Physics D 54, 483001, 2021. Link.
28. Y.-S. Chen*, Y. Zhao, C. Beinat, A. Zlitni, E.-C. Hsu, D.-H. Chen, H. Wang, T. Stoyanova, J. A. Dionne, and S. S. Gambhir, Ultra-high-frequency radio-frequency-acoustic molecular imaging with saline nanodroplets in living subjects, Nature Nanotechnology 16, 717–724, 2021. Link.
27. H. Wang, H.-K. Huang, Y.-S. Chen*, and Y. Zhao*, On-demand field shaping for enhanced magnetic resonance imaging using an ultrathin reconfigurable metasurface, VIEW 2, 2020099, 2021. Link.
26. N. Jahan‡, H. Wang‡, S. Zhao, A. Dutta, H.-K. Huang, Y. Zhao*, and Y.-S. Chen*, Optical force microscopy: combining light with atomic force microscopy for nanomaterial identification, Nanophotonics 8, 1659, 2019. ‡indicates equal contribution of authorship. Link.
25. Y-S. Chen, Y. Zhao, S. J. Yoon, J. A. Dionne, S. S. Gambhir*, and S. Emelianov*, Miniature gold nanorods for photoacoustic molecular imaging in the second near-infrared optical window, Nature Nanotechnology 14, 465, 2019. Link.
24. Y. Zhao*, A. Saleh, M. A. van de Haar, B. Baum, J. Briggs, A. Lay, O. Reyes-Becerra, and J. A. Dionne*, Nanoscopic control and quantification of enantioselective optical forces, Nature Nanotechnology 12, 1055, 2017. Link.
-Press release: Stanford News, Science Daily, Phys.org, EurekAlert!, Technology Networks, Science Newsline, Long Room, R&D.
23. Y. Zhao, A. Askarpour, L. Sun, X. Li, and A. Alù*, Chirality detection of enantiomers using twisted optical metamaterials, Nature Communications 8, 14180, 2017. Link.
22. J. A. Briggs, G. V. Naik, Y. Zhao, T. A. Petach, K. Sahasrabuddhe, D. Goldhaber-Gordon, N. A. Melosh, and J. A. Dionne*, Temperature-dependent optical properties of titanium nitride, Applied Physics Letter 110, 101901, 2017.
21. C.-S. Ho, A. Garcia, Y. Zhao, and J. A. Dionne*, Enhancing enantioselective absorption using dielectric nanospheres, ACS Photonics 4, 197, 2017. Link.
20. J. Kim, S. Choudhury, C. DeVault, Y. Zhao, A. V. Kildishev, V. M. Shalaev, A. Alù, and A. Boltasseva*, Controlling the polarization state of light with plasmonic metal oxide metasurfaces, ACS Nano 10, 9326, 2016. Link.
19. Y. Zhao*, A. Saleh, and J. A. Dionne*, Enantioselective optical trapping of chiral nanoparticles, ACS Photonics 3, 304, 2016. Link.
18. X.-X. Liu, Y. Zhao, and A. Alù*, Polarizability tensor retrieval for subwavelength particles of arbitrary shape, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 64, 2301, 2016. Link.
17. J. Dionne*, A. Baldi, B. Baum, C. S. Ho, V. Jankovic, G. Naik, T. Narayan, J. Scholl, and Y. Zhao, Localized fields, global impact: Industrial applications of resonant plasmonic materials, MRS Bulletin 40, 1138, 2015. Link.
16. A. Askarpour, Y. Zhao, and A. Alù*, Wave propagation in twisted metamaterials, Physical Review B 90, 054305, 2014. Link.
-Featured as Editor’s Suggestion.
15. Y. Zhao, X.-X. Liu, and A. Alù*, Recent advances on optical metasurfaces, Journal of Optics 16, 123001, 2014. (invited review) Link.
-Selected as a Highlight of 2014 for its “high novelty, scientific impact and broad appeal” by the editors
14. Y. Wu, C. Zhang, N. M. Estakhri, Y. Zhao, J. Kim, M. Zhang, X.-X. Liu, G. K. Pribi, A. Alù, C.-K. Shih*, X. Li*, Intrinsic optical properties and enhanced plasmonic response of epitaxial silver, Advanced Materials 26, 6106, 2014. Link.
13. Y. Zhao, J. Shi, L. Sun, X. Li and A. Alù*, Alignment free three-dimensional optical metamaterials, Advanced Materials 26, 1439, 2014. Link.
12. Y. Zhao, and A. Alù*, Tailoring the dispersion of plasmonic nanorods to realize broadband optical meta-waveplates, Nano Letters 13, 1086, 2013. Link.
11. N. Liu‡, F.F. Wen‡, Y. Zhao‡, Y.M. Wang, P. Nordlander*, N. Halas*, and A. Alù*, Individual nanoantennas loaded with three-dimensional optical nanocircuits, Nano Letters 13, 142, 2013. ‡ indicates equal contribution of authorship. Link.
-Highlighted by K. Tsakmakidis, “Optical nanocircuits,” Nature Materials 12, 178, 2013.
10. Y. Zhao, M. Belkin, and A. Alù*, Twisted optical metamaterials for planarized ultrathin broadband circular polarizers, Nature Communications 3, 870, 2012. Link.
-Highlighted by J. Baxter, “Metamaterials, twisted layers,” Nature Photonics 6, 500, 2012.
9. Y. Zhao, and A. Alù*, Manipulating light polarization with ultrathin plasmonic metasurfaces, Physical Review B 84, 205428, 2011. Link.
8. Y. Zhao, N. Engheta, and A. Alù*, Homogenization of plasmonic metasurfaces as transmission-line loads, Metamaterials 5, 90, 2011. Link.
7. Y. Zhao, N. Engheta, and A. Alù*, Effects of shape and loading of optical nanoantennas on their sensitivity and radiation properties, Journal of Optical Society of America B 28, 1266, 2011. Link.
-This article won CST University Publication Award 2012. Selected by Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology 23 (19), 2011.
-Rated as top downloaded article in Journal of Optical Society of America B 2011.
6. P. C. Li, Y. Zhao, A. Alù, and E. T. Yu*, Experimental realization and modeling of a subwavelength frequency-selective plasmonic metasurface, Applied Physics Letters 99, 221106, 2011. Link.
5. A. Di Falco*, Y. Zhao, and A. Alù, Optical metasurfaces with robust angular response on flexible substrates, Applied Physics Letters 99, 163110, 2011. Link.
4. S. Y. Kalmykov, S.A. Reed, S.A. Yi, A. Beck, A.F. Lifschitz, X. Davoine, E. Lefebvre, V. Khudik, G. Shvets, P. Dong, X. Wang, D. Du, S. Bedacht, Y. Zhao, W. Henderson, A. Bernstein, G. Dyer, M. Martinez, E. Gaul, T. Ditmire, M.C. Downer*, Laser wakefield electron acceleration on Texas petawatt facility: Towards multi-GeV electron energy in a single self-guided stage, High Energy Density Physics 6, 200, 2010. Link.
3. S. Gauza, Y. Zhao, T. Le Cor, S.-T. Wu, A. Ziołek, R. Dąbrowski, O. Catanescu, L.-C. Chien*, C.-S. Hsu*, High figure-of-merit laterally fluorinated biphenyltolane-isothiocyanates, Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals 479, 169, 2007. Link.
2. S. Gauza, Y. Zhao, T. Le Cor, S.-T. Wu*, J. Dziaduszek, G. Sasnouski, R. Dabrowski, and L.-C. Chien*, Enhancing birefringence by doping fluorinated phenyltolanes, Journal of Display Technology 2, 327, 2006. Link.
1. S. Gauza, C. H. Wen, Y. Zhao, and S.-T. Wu*, Isothiocyanato-tolanes based high birefringence and fast response time mixtures for photonic applications, Molecular Crystal Liquid Crystal 453, 215, 2006. Link.